NASCAR Arcade Rush
Company: Team 6 Game Studio
Software: Unreal 5
Platform: PC, PS4, PS5, XBOX series X & S, XBOX One, Switch
Role: Level Designer
Development Time: ~1 year
The thrill of NASCAR meets the rush of arcade racing in a new game that puts you in the driver’s seat of a completely new NASCAR experience with re-imagined, iconic racetracks in unmatched high-speed, wheel-to-wheel action!
I found myself in the curious position of being the only full time level designer on this project. My responsibilities were therefore expansive.
- Spearheading the Level Design process from pre-production until release for 12 total tracks.
- Setting up and managing the Level Design pipeline and timeline.
- Determining and communicating the track design pillars and intentions in tandem with Game Design and the Game Director.
- Establishing the intended racing experiences, POI’s and NASCAR recognizable elements per track based upon research into their real-life counterparts.
- Designing and iterating upon the first track to establish an example and bar-of-quality for the following tracks.
- Concept, metrics and blockout, gameplay pass, testing and iteration, polish and bug fixing.
- Writing and maintaining a Level Design Doc and Creative Handbook to onboard parties into the level design process.
- Managing and providing feedback to 1-3 Game Designers helping out with the level design workload throughout the project.
- Actively iterating upon track designs to elevate them to the established bar-of-quality.
- Discussing and solving or communicating any high-level issues that arise.
- Maintaining direct communication with all departments and parties involved with the tracks.
- Taking part in design brainstorming sessions and being a general team player.
- General QA & bug fixing
Check out more of the game on the official website!